Friday, April 29, 2011

Something Mysterious....

I'm not sure how many of you have been keeping up with the mystery of the Mysterious Hipsters that Scott Snyder (American Vampire, Voodoo HeartDetective Comics) discovered about a week ago. It seems that these two guys seem to be popping up in quite few children's books in various cameos and Scott tweeted about it.. Here's the iFanboy's coverage of what happened. So go ahead over there and read up on it and then come back. I'll wait......

....Okay, I assume you're back now. If you dig further you'll see this mystery has gained legs and has been picked up by quite a few other fan sites, blogs, Salon and Facebook (the Mystery Hipsters even have a FB page of their own). So, when I put up the Tweet for suggestions for Fan Request Friday last week I received quite a requests for these two guys and one even suggested I put them in Voltron uniforms. That seemed like a good idea and appropriate (I'll explain the Voltron connection in a bit).



When this week started my work load seemed to be lighter than usual and I planned on doing several more drawings, but not surprisingly the work load increased significantly by mid-week and  I ran out of time so my intent is still to finish these other drawings and to add them to the blog as soon as I can.

Now, what I was referring to before in regards to drawing the Mystery Hipsters in Voltron uniforms, is that for the last several months (and off and on prior to this) I've been working on a new series Voltron Force set to premiere on Nicktoons in June as the Supervising Director. The uniforms I chose for our hipster friends is not based on our new show, but based on the classic Voltron and they are not in the show (to my knowledge) so don't read too much into this drawing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But Steve, some of the images of the "mystery hipsters" are from books YOU illustrated! Are you part of the conspiracy!!??

Unknown said...

Hardly a conspiracy - I think. Yes, they are in several of the books I illustrated, but I'm not really sure how these guys got into them. Well, sort of ;)

We'll just have to see what Scott Snyder discovers...